Happy Fall Y’all!
This is my favorite time of year! The weather starts to cool down and the fall foods begin. My favorite fall vegetables are all the different squashes. You can make so many different dishes both sweet and savory. I have been spending more time in the kitchen focusing on ways to get more nutrients out of our meals (micros) verses just the macros and this is a great time of year to start experimenting. I have also been incorporating more plant based meals and getting creative with tons of fruits and veggies. Here is a yummy dish that will leave you in awe!
I couldnt find a recipe that I loved, so I created my own. It is a little spicy but we loved it in our household.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- 3 cups butternut squash cubes
- 1 box (8oz) Banza chickpea elbow pasta
- 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/3 cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (This adds a spicy flavor to the sauce- adjust as desired)
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric
- Pinch of salt and pepper
What will you need:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- food processor or blender
- Boil water and cook chickpea noodles as directed on the box. Strain and set aside.
- Steam butternut squash cubes in a microwave safe bowl with a 1/4c of water.
- Microwave squash for 2 minutes continuously until the squash is very soft and mushy.
- Add squash and all other ingredients except noodles into food processor. Blend until it is a smooth sauce. If the sauce seems thick, add in a few additional splashes of cashew milk until it is to your desired consistency.
- To serve, add your chickpea noodles into a bowl and pour the sauce over the top.
Optional add ins:
Steamed veggies, wilted spinach, and/or shredded chicken
1 serving= 1/3cup chickpea noodles + 1/4c butternut squash sauce
Calories: 350 calories
Macros: 63g carbohydrates, 6g fat, 22g protein
For a lower carb dish, use a 1/4 cup chickpea noodles with mixed veggies.
Try it, tag me at @michaelas_motto on instagram, and let me know what you think!