- 8 Medjool dates
- 1 cup Rolled oats
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup Ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup Sunflower seed butter (or desired nut butter)
- 2- Mini 70% Cocao dark chocolate bars (Trader Joe’s) or dark chocolate chips
- Vanilla protein powder (I used Garden of Life Sport Plant Based)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
You will also need:
- Food processor (a blender works as well- I used a Magic Bullet)
- Deep microwave safe bowl
- Medium size mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
1. In a microwave safe bowl, warm 2 cups of water in the microwave for about 2 minutes
2. Place the dates in the bowl of warm water covered with plastic wrap for 15 minutes to soften. Set the dates aside.
3. On a cutting board, cut or break the (2) chocolate bars into chip sizes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the rolled oats, flaxseed, coconut flakes, protein powder, and chocolate chips.
5. Once the dates are done soaking, cut the pits out of the dates and place them into the food processor with 4-5 tablespoons of the date water. Pulse in the food processor/ blender until smooth. It should be a thick paste with no clumps.
6. Combine date paste, sunflower seed butter, and vanilla extract into the dry mixture in the medium size bowl. Fold and mix until all ingredients are together and mixed evenly. This should now look like a thick cookie dough.
7. Cover the dough and place it in the refridgerator for about 15 minutes. This will help when rolling them into bite sizes.
8. After the dough has been chilled, take out, and get ready to roll.
9. Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough and roll with your hands into bite size balls. Place on parchment paper or in a tuperware container to store. This will make about 16 bites.
10. Refridgerate until ready to eat. You may freeze these as well if you want to double the batch.
These are so tasty! Trust me, they won’t last long! 🙂
Macros per date ball:
Carbs: 16 grams
Fat: 8 grams
Protein: 5 grams
These energy bites high in fiber, rich in antioxidants, and loaded with omega-3. Swap out the processed sweet treats that are high in sugar for these all natural, whole ingredient bites! They can cure a sweet tooth in just one bite!
I added protein powder to my energy bites. Add your favorite dried fruits and nut butters to enoy! This original recipe came from the @TheDinnerMom pinterest