Do you endure back pain or muscle aches and tightness?
Investing in a simple and affordable foam roller can minimize these nagging discomforts.
SMR (Self Myofascial Release)/ Foam rolling can improve:
- Muscle imbalances
- Range of motion
- Decrease soreness in muscles
- Reduce stress and tension on the body
For each foam rolling variation, find a tender spot while rolling and hold for 20-30 seconds. Perform 3 sets of 20-30 second holds in that specific area before moving on to the next muscle group. It is recommended that you hold anywhere from 30-90 seconds total in each area.
IT Band Rollout
- Lay on your side with a roller under the outside of your leg between the knee and hip abductor. Keep your hands and feet on the floor using with your arms to assist you for balance.
- Slowly roll back and forth along the outside of your thighs, from your knee to upper-thigh.
- When you feel a tender spot hold for 20-30 seconds until your feel the tension release. Locate a few tender spots to work through before switching legs.
- Foam rolling your IT band can also reduce tension in your hips, knees, and lower back.
- Sit with a roller underneath your knees and have your hands behind your glutes.
- Bend one leg for support as you foam roll the other with a straight leg.
- Raise your body off the ground and slowly roll back and forth.
- When you feel a tender spot hold for 20-30 seconds until you feel the tension release. Locate a few tender spots to work through before switching legs.
Piriformis/ Glute Rollout
- Lay the foam roller down vertically inline with your body.
- Sit in the middle of the foam roller with your feet flat on the floor. Place your hands behind you and lean back slightly to relax the glutes.
- Lift your right leg off the floor and cross it over your opposite leg just above the knee. This will help target the muscle.
- Slowly begin to roll side to side over the foam roller. Once you find a tender spot, hold for 20-30 seconds until your feel the tension release. Adjust by rolling further, if you have another tender spot hold another 20-30 seconds. Locate a few tender spots to work through before switching legs.
- Repeat the same motion on the left side by switching legs.
Latissimus Dorsi Rollout
- Lay the foam roller flat on the floor horizontal to the body.
- Lean to one side with the roller under your rib cage, resting on your forearm with your elbow bent on the floor.
- Roll your body and foam roller upward toward your armpit. When you feel a tender spot hold for 20-30 seconds until your feel the tension release.
- Roll back down from your armpit to your rib cage.
- Locate a few tender spots to work through before switching sides.